Andrew Cornell Robinson
artist, educator, designer, maker...
|Driven by ideas, craft and material traditions, Andrew is an artist, educator and designer and the principle of the arts and crafts research studio which serves as a platform for independent and collaborative art and design projects, curatorial work and research about art, design and craft.|
Andrew Cornell Robinson (b. 1968, Camden, NJ) is an interdisciplinary artist working in sculpture, ceramics, painting, printmaking, performance and collaborative craft. He spends some of his time curating, teaching and writing about art, craft and culture. His work has been presented in New York City at Anna Kustera; Christopher Stout Gallery; Paul Sharpe Projects, Eyelevel BQE; in Chicago at the American Center for Design; in Connecticut at the Bruce Museum for the Ceramics Circle; in London with the United Kingdom Crafts Council, et al. He has received an Edward Albee Foundation fellowship; an educational grant for an art, design and performance collaborative workshop at The New School; and a research grant from Parsons for his work exploring the nature of craft thinking across disciplines. He has worked as an artist and educator in Port au Prince, Haiti and in southern India.
His idiosyncratic creations are visually rich, poetic, at times political and perplexing meditations on memory, mortality and the beauty found within the ordinary. Since the 1990s, he has used ceramic and interdisciplinary sculpture to create handcrafted objects in order to push familiar subject matter off-kilter. Creating a peculiar and queer collection of works that operate collectively as palimpsest showing the traces of a life lived.
Robinson studied at the Maryland Institute College of Art and the Glasgow School of Art, Scotland. He received an MFA from the School of Visual Arts in New York City. He teaches at Parsons School of Design in New York City.
- M.F.A. Fine Art, School of Visual Arts, New York, New York, 1994.
- B.F.A. Ceramic Sculpture / Drawing, Maryland Institute College of Art, Baltimore Maryland, 1991.
- Ceramic Sculpture, Glasgow School of Art, Glasgow, Scotland, 1990.
- Graphic Design / Ceramics, Kean College, Union, New Jersey, 1984 - 1986.
- Ceramics Apprentice, Bailey Pottery, Westfield, New Jersey, 1978 - 1987.
- Queens Art Intervention Grant, Rego Park Green Alliance, Queens, NY, 2014.
- Research Assistant Grant, Parsons the New School for Design, New York, NY, 2014.
- Design Improv - Cross School Grant Award, New School, New York, NY, 2013.
- Artist Summer Institute, Lower Manhattan Cultural Council and Creative Capital, New York, New York, 2012.
- Edward Albee Foundation Fellowship, 2010.
- Silver Cyber Lion at Cannes, 2007.
- Forbes, Best of the Web, Citibank New York, New York, 2002.
- Gomez, Best Financial Website, Citibank New York, New York, 2002.
- First Prize, SOWEBO Arts Festival, Baltimore, Maryland, 1991.
- Merit Scholarship, Maryland Institute College of Art, Baltimore Maryland, 1989-1991.
- Departmental Scholarship, Maryland Institute College of Art, Baltimore Maryland, 1990.
- Travel Award, Glasgow School of Art, Glasgow, Scotland, 1990.
- Merit Award, Juried Sculpture Exhibition, Fox Gallery, Baltimore, Maryland, 1989.
- Assistant Professor and member of the faculty of Parsons the New School for Design.
- College Art Association, Member of the Queer Art Caucus.
- The Foucault Society, former founding member of the Board of Directors. An international society comprised of philosophers, artists, activists, and academics interested in examining and advocating for the ideas of Michel Foucault.
- The Interaction Design Group (IxDG) An international organization comprised of designers and academics working in interaction design.
residencies, symposia & events
- Agastya Foundation, Interdisciplinary art and science education workshops, India, 2015.
- Bushwick Art Crit Group, Presentation, Brooklyn, New York, 2014
- Design Thinking Panel Discussion, Brand Hackers, New York, New York, 2013
- Adobe Educators Summit, Portland Oregon, 2013
- Bürolandschaft, Proposal Slam Public Presentation, Queens Museum of Art, Queens, New York 2013.
- Visiting Artist, Fashion, MFA program, Parsons The New School for Design, New York, New York, 2012
- Visiting Artist, Columbia University, Lecture on product design and brand strategy. Sponsored by the Luxury Education Foundation, 2012
- Assemble, Crafts Council of the United Kingdom, guest speaker, London, UK, June 2010.
- CHI Conference, Peer panel judge, Atlanta, Georgia, 2010.
- Pratt, Living Out Loud Panel Discussion, Brooklyn, New York, 2008.
- Brooklyn College, Visiting Artist Lecture, Brooklyn, New York, 2008.
- Parsons School of Design, Visiting Critic for the Design and Management Thesis Review, New York, New York, 2005 - 2008.
- Navigating the Narrative in Art and Interactive Design, Siegel & Gale, New York, New York, 2001.
- Narrative Architecture, Living Surfaces Conference, American Center for Design, Chicago, Illinois, 2000.
- Technology Forum Participant, New School University, New York, New York, 1999-2000.
- Lecture Leader, Visiting Artist Lecture Series, School of Visual Arts, New York, New York, 1993-1994.
- Lecturer, Clay in the East Conference, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, Virginia, 1991.
- Making History, StoreFront Ten Eyck Gallery, Brooklyn, NY.
- Westernized, Watered-down Zen Philosophies, Fred Frelinghuysen Presents, New York, NY.
- Degenerate Craft Fair, New York, NY.
- Select Contemporary Art Fair, BACG, Miami, FL.
- Sodom + Gomorrah, Degenerate Craft Fair, New York, NY.
- Atelier Populaire Printshop, Queens Art Intervention, Ridgewood, NY.
- Echo Art Fair, curated by Christopher Stout, BACG, Buffalo, NY.
- Meeting Past, Akin Free Library and Museum, curated by Bibiana Huang Matheis, NY.
- Pulling the Devil’s Tail, a group print exhibition, Curated by Michael Kirk, Horace Mann School, Bronx, NY.
- Mariposa, a collaboration with George Plionis, Fitzgerald Gallery, Brooklyn, NY.
- Eternal Misunderstandings in the Car Park, Fred Frelinghuysen Presents, New York, NY.
- Swimming With Water Moccasins, Joyce Goldstein Gallery, Chatham, NY.
- I Want Love, Rox Gallery, New York, NY.
- New Ceramics: Andrew Cornell Robinson, et al, Anna Kustera Gallery, New York, NY.
- Faculty Showcase, Parsons, the New School for Design, New York, NY.
- Nurture Art, Juried Benefit, Brooklyn, New York.
- Disobedience, Anna Kustera Gallery, New York, New York.
- The Eye in Eye Level, Eye Level BQE, Brooklyn, New York.
- Naming of the Animals, Curious Matter, Jersey City, New Jersey.
- The Frequencies Project, curated by Kathryn Lofton and John Lardas Modern, Social Science Research Council, Brooklyn, New York.
- Groundswell Community Mural Project Benefit, Affirmation Arts Gallery, New York, New York.
- The Box Which Contains The World, curator Ali Aschman, Beta Spaces, Brooklyn Fireproof, Brooklyn, New York.
- Bloodlines, Eyelevel BQE Gallery, Brooklyn, New York.
- Brooklyn Artillery, Brooklyn, New York.
- Focus, Eyelevel BQE, Brooklyn, New York.
- Groundswell Art Auction Benefit, Affirmation Arts, New York, New York.
- Red Badge of Courage ReVisited, Curator Omar Lopez-Chahoud, Newark Arts Council, Newark, New Jersey.
- Crime Drama, Eye Level Gallery, at Victor Osborne, Brooklyn, New York.
- Bushwick Open Studios, Brooklyn, New York.
- In Your Presence, Open Spaces, Curator Steven Weintraub, Brooklyn, New York.
- Open Studio and Bushwick Arts Festival, Brooklyn, New York.
- Small Works Exhibition, juried by Jim Kempner, NYU 80 Washington Square Galleries, New York, New York.
- Viewing room at the Paul Sharpe Gallery, New York, New York.
- Post Cards from the Edge, Sikkema Jenkins & Co., Visual AIDS, New York, New York.
- Gowanus Artists Open Studio, Brooklyn, New York.
- Bodily, a group exhibition curated by Steven Weintraub, Collision Machine, Brooklyn, New York.
- Publishing Triangle Silent Auction benefit for the Shilts-Grahn Nonfiction Awards and the Lorde-Gunn, at Remy Toledo Gallery, New York, New York.
- Post Cards from the Edge, Robert Miller, New York, New York.
- Matzo Files, at PS122 Gallery, New York, New York.
- Night of a 1000 Drawings, Artist Space, New York, New York.
- Groundswell benefit at White Columns, New York, New York.
- Post Cards from the Edge, Brent Sikkema, New York, New York.
- Matzo Files, Matzo Files Gallery, New York, New York.
- Head Shot, Monmouth County Arts Council, Red Bank, New Jersey.
- Walk The Windows, Installation on Atlantic Avenue with "Build The Boulevard", Brooklyn, New York.
- Snap Shot, Aldrich Museum of Contemporary Art, New York, New York.
- 1000 Drawings, Artist Space, New York, New York.
- Post Cards From the Edge, Sara Meltzer Gallery, Visual AIDS, New York, New York.
- Snap Shot, Beaver College, Fine Arts Gallery, Glenside, PA.
- Snap Shot, Contemporary Museum in Baltimore, Baltimore, Maryland.
- Street Paintings, Halcyon, Brooklyn, New York.*
- Post Cards from the Edge, Andrew Kreps Gallery, Visual AIDS, New York, New York.
- Post Cards from the Edge, Alexander and Bonin Gallery, Visual AIDS, New York.
- Group Show, Benefit for the Jericho Project curator Jonathan Danis, New York.
- Tour Guide, Performance Collaboration with Christine Hill, Deitch Projects, New York, New York.
- The Wedding, Lime Lite, curator Jonathan Danis, New York.
- Drawing Show, Art Students League, New York.
- Group Show, PS122 Gallery, New York, curator Susan Schrieber.
- Angels in New York, Collaboration with Carlos Blanco and Juana Valdes, New Artist Warehouse, New York, New York.
- Special Projects, Visual Arts Gallery, New York, curator Gregory Amenoff.
- Places and Things, Visual Arts Gallery, New York, curator Gary Stephan.
- Liberty, Lincoln Foundation, New York, curator Mary Carter.
- Silent Auction, benefiting Gods Love We Deliver, Bell Cafe, New York.
- Group Show, Leslie Lowman Gallery, New York.
- AIDS Assaults, ACT UP, SOWEBO Arts Festival, Baltimore, Maryland.
- Group Show, Keystone Gallery, Baltimore, Maryland.
- Sculpture Show, Fox Gallery, Baltimore, Maryland.
- Installation, Space Gallery, Baltimore, Maryland.*
- Clay In The East, Key Gallery, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, Virginia.
- Young Sculptors, Glasgow School of Art, Glasgow, Scotland.
- Review, Space Gallery, Baltimore, Maryland.*
- Sculpture Show, Fox Gallery, Baltimore, Maryland.
acrStudio 1994 - Ongoing
- Independent art studio which serves as a platform for my work as a visual artist as well as design consulting and multi-disciplinary collaborations.
- I've worked in collaboration with artisans and technologists in product design and development from housewares with a focus on ceramics and fashion accessories such as handbags and leathergoods to work on interactive narrative platforms and digital design experiences.
Parsons The New School for Design, New York, New York, 2004-Ongoing
- Full Time, Assistant Professor of Art and Design. Teaching design studio, three dimensional design, foundation drawing and imaging, visual literacy, information and communication design, and the marketing and design of luxury products.
- Chair of the School Curriculum Committee for the School of Design Strategies.
- Representative on the Parsons Curriculum Concil representing the School of Design Strateiges.
- Member of the Committee on Undergraduate Education, which is responsible for the redesign of the Parsons four-year undergraduate curriculum.
- Member of the digital strategy consulting committee for the School of Design Strategies.
Brooklyn College CUNY, Brooklyn, New York, 2010
- Adjunct Faculty, Sculpture, Ceramics, teaches sculpture and three dimensional design.
BBDO, New York, New York, 2009 - 2010
- Interaction Design for clients such as ATT, FedEx and GE.
- Developed interaction design flows and documentation, and contributed to strategic and creative brainstorms and consulting.
Razorfish, New York, New York, 2009 - 2010
- Interaction Design for client: Morgan Stanley
- Redesigned corporate site and developed digital communications strategies for corporate citizenship initiatives. Led interaction design, digital strategy, creative brainstorms and consulting.
R/GA Interactive, New York, New York, 2003-2009
- Associate Creative Director, Team leader for multiple client engagements in a range of sectors including financial services, fashion, cosmetics, entertainment and telecommunications.
Coordinated requirements gathering sessions. Developed strategic implementation plans. Performed ethnographic research. Designed usability testing scripts and coordinated the analysis of test results for improving customer experience.
Managed the over all creative team direction, and collaborated with business owners and technologists from ideation through to implementation. This included the development of websites, applications, mobile device interfaces, interactive program entertainment guide prototypes, as well as interactive signage in Time Square and in various museum and retail environments.
Citigroup, Long Island City, New York, 2001 - 2003
- Vice President, Interaction Design
Coordinated the redesign of the Citi.com financial portal.
Coordinated the development of a digital photography archive.
Development of Interaction Design process and deliverables for Citicorp and international businesses.
Established a content strategy which used a narrative structure to personalize the user experience.
Migrated a consistent brand experience and a unified approach to interactive design.
Managed the development of html template designs for a content managed portal.
Cooper Union, New York, New York, 2005
- Visiting Artist, Workshop leader for college portfolio preparation in Cooper Union’s summer arts program.
Craft Students League, New York, New York, 2002-2003
- Studio Technical Teaching Assistant
Coordinated the smooth running of a teaching ceramics facility where I produced clay, glazes, fired kilns and instructed students on the proper use of equipment
Siegel + Gale, New York, New York, 2000 - 2001.
- Senior Information Architect / Designer
Design and brand development for leading corporations and organizations such as T. Rowe Price, College Board, Ellerbe Becket, Mirant, Boise Cascade, Marriott, Renaissance Hotels, American Express, Dow and the Victoria and Albert Museum.
American Center for Design, Chicago, Illinois, November 2000
- Guest speaker at the annual Living Surfaces conference hosted by the American Center for Design; in which I presented a paper on narrative techniques in art and design.
New School University, New York, New York, 1998- 2000
- Education Technologist / User Services Coordinator
Implemented a University wide mentoring program, for students, staff, and faculty.
Created documentation, orientations, and a learning resource website for the academic community.
Taught software and hardware usage in a multidiscipline academic environment with a focus on design.
Member of the Technology Initiatives Forum comprised of staff and faculty who review innovative ways to introduce computer technology into a pedagogical discourse.
Assisted in the management of a multi-platform computing facility with over 800 computers.
Coordinated the production of news letters and campus wide communications for Academic Computing.
William Morris Agency, inc., New York, New York, 1995-1998
- Regional Supervisor of the training, software support and the interface design team.
Developed the graphical user interface for an intranet and customized database enabling the company to track deal processes.
Contributed to the design implementation of the company's centennial logo and promotional material
Michael Kors, New York, New York, 1994-1995
- Designed and installed the show room runway for the Seventh on Sixth spring and fall fashion shows.
Bergdorf Goodman, New York, New York, 1994-1995
- Design and production of window and store displays for the men's department.
Coordinated the color scheme for the Romeo Gigli show room.
Designed and installed custom displays for the Gianni Versace show room.
Metro Tech center public exhibitions, Brooklyn, New York, 1992-1994
- Exhibition Design. Coordinated the design and installation of lobby exhibitions at Metro Tech Center, Pierrepont Plaza, and NYNEX Brooklyn in partnership with such organizations as the Marie Walsh Sharpe Foundation, the Public Art Fund and the New York Foundation for the Arts.
Rotunda Gallery, Brooklyn, New York, 1992-1994
- Curatorial Assistant / Art Educator. Responsible for the installation, insurance, registration and documentation of all art work entering the gallery. Some of these exhibitions included: Judy Pfaff's Corpo Onbrosso, Taeg Nishimoto, Baratloo and Balch, group shows such as The Street, Dirty Ornament and Life Boat.
Eigen+Art gallery, Leipzig / Berlin, Germany and New York, New York, 1993
- Curatorial Assistant. Assisted in the establishment of a satellite gallery, which represented contemporary German artists in New York.
Selected Curatorial and Artist Collaborations
- Mariposa, a collaboration with Austrailian jewellery designer George Plionis.
- Making / Meaning - Lead Curatorial Design, an exhibition and graduate level course culminating in the Parsons’ Festival exhibition and public program.
- EQHMER, collaboration between artists Andrew Cornell Robinson and Julien Gardier, New York, New York, 2013 – ongoing.
- Bürolandschaft, a multi-disciplinary collaboration, New York, New York, 2012 – ongoing.
- Collaborated with Alix Lambert in the creation of slip casting molds, casting, sculpting, firing and surface design of a series of cast porcelain sculptures for an exhibition at the Anna Kustera Gallery.
- Consulted with sculptor Frank Benson in the firing and surface design of a series of extruded ceramic sculptures exhibited at the Andrew Kreps Gallery.
- Assisted Fanny Allié in the preparation of a ceramic sculpture that was featured in the exhibition Silhouettes at St Eustache Church in Paris, France.
- Assisted Frank Moore in the use of digital media in the development of a body of intaglio prints, New York, New York.
- Tour Guide Performance Collaboration with Christine Hill, Deitch Projects
- Exhibit Installation, Corpo Onbrosso, Judy Pfaff, Brooklyn, New York.
- Installation Assistant, Cornelia Parker, New York, New York.
- Studio Assistant, preparation of paintings, Luccio Pozzi, New York, New York.
- Studio Assistant, Frank Holliday, Brooklyn, New York
- Assisted Taeg Nishimoto in the planning and installation of a site specific architectural installation, Brooklyn, New York.
- Mural Artist, New York Cares Mural Project, Jackie Robinson Intermediate School, Brooklyn, New York.
- Exhibit Installation, Angst Cartography, Baratloo + Balch Architects, Brooklyn, New York.
Making + Misc Skills
- Gesture and Analytical drawing, Portraiture and Figurative Life drawing, Perspective and Isometric drawing systems.
- Oil, Acrylic, Gouache, Color Theory, Mural Painting, collage and assemblage.
- Wood Block, Etching, and Screen-printing.
- Casting: Plaster, Clay Slip and Lost Wax Ceramic Shell and Sand Mold Casting
- Ceramics: Throwing, Hand Building, Mold Making, Slip Casting, Kiln Building and Maintenance, Glaze Composition.
- Metal Fabrication: Oxy-Acetylene MIG and TIG Welding, Plasma Cutter.
- Modeling: Wax and Clay Figurative Sculpture
- Wood Working: Band Saw, Table Saw, Router, Drill Press, Planner, Belt Sander and Wood Surface Finishing.
- Interactive Design, Information Architecture, Software Design, Scenario Design, Desktop Publishing, Brand and Identity Design, Graphic and Inforamtion Design, Product Design.